Thursday 22 October 2009

She called me Betty

I made a new friend recently. She came into my life like a whirlwind, sat at the desk next to mine, and seemed to know exactly what I was thinking at all times. It's nice to have such an easy friendship where you don't have to explain or apologise for anything. We were going through all the same stuff at the time, and it's like she was sent to me. Suddenly I started looking forward to going to work. It was lovely, and we made fun of the bad times.

Then one morning she announced she'd got a job in Argentina and was leaving at the end of the week. We went out for dinner twice and the day she left I took the afternoon off so I didn't have to say goodbye. The following Monday I came in and her desk was cleared, but she'd left flowers on my desk with a post-it note that read "For Betty". I had a lump in my throat.

It's funny how you can know someone years and never really know them, but meet another person for a few weeks and totally get each other.

I miss that girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment